Monday, January 21, 2008

The Richard Simmons of Wondering

So, the first thing I should do is address this desire to focus on Wondering.

Wondering needs to be fostered and nurtured in order to grow.  Sometimes I wonder if Wondering itself is a luxury, but now I believe I can lead my life however I determine. That does mean sacrifice in other areas. In order to foster creativity and wondering, i has to be at the top of my daily agenda. Over the last two years, I have learned I am more energized and satisfied if I put all my efforts into a smaller number of categories. Life can get away from me if I don't focus and exercise self-discipline to get into the studio. 
A huge part of Wondering is surrendering to the moment. I was never one for surrendering, but sometimes better outcomes occur than I could ever have imagined. I'm done with forcing things to occur. If I just keep working hard, the work will improve and I will find myself in the right place at the right time- and my entire art practice will reach another level.
Maybe my notion of Wondering is similar to meditation. Focusing on a certain subject but being open to other thoughts flitting through. This is also how I want my paintings to communicate. They announce and idea but not a complete thought.

I have attached a link to one of my favorite Internet gems- Sol Le Witt's Sentences on Conceptual Art. I love how random yet rich they are. Also love the 'bullet point' format- kind of undermines the huge implications these have. They function as great starting points for a Wondering sesh- just as long as we don't interpret anything too literally.