Monday, October 6, 2008

OPERATION: DEFINITION OF ART

I'm starting a project. Let's call it: OPERATION: DoA.  I don't know where it will go or how it will resolve itself but I will use this blog as the platform/medium.  I am going to document how I define art.  Personally, I am fickle and my connotations of things change by the hour (soon to be by the minute).  So, I am going to periodically record my definition of art.  I hypothesize that it will change, evolve, and not end up where I began.  Also, I hope it also reveals that my mindset is expanding and loosening in my conception of what it art. 
So, I shall start simply:

Art is something that is teased into being.  It is artificial or utilizes artificial means to illuminate "that which" (- insert topic here) strikes the artist's fancy.  It is not limited to an object that one can behold.

That is all for today's DoA. Perhaps one day my DoA will be 10 pages long. Perhaps one day it will be one word.  Ultimately, it has to come from digesting lots of varied sources- first person and secondary.  It is not an excerpt from any source.  It must be in my words.